Up-End the Printer Industry with Kent Wilson
People hate their printers. They jam, fail and run out of ink and fail whenever you need them most. Listen to Kent Wilson describe a business idea to take the headache out of home printing.
- James Dyson approached incumbent vacuum manufacturers with his idea for a bagless vacuum cleaner. They shot him down because “they sell bags”
- Even if your business is starting small, imagine the pitfalls you may encounter if it must rapidly scale.
- Be obsessed with your customers. It will arise from natural curiosity and even a bit of natural insecurity.
- Find co-founders who complement your skill set; can save a ton of money over hiring everything out in the beginning
- Talk with home printer users to learn what matters most to them and how you can service them better than incumbents; build a list of potential customers from these conversations
- Create a Kickstarter campaign to presell the idea to your list
- Get a better printer designed and prototyped
- Find a manufacturer who will make your product
- Raise money as needed to fund manufacturing (that will likely be the expensive part of this idea)
Follow through on these action steps and email us your results at email@example.com. You'll get exclusive access to a private Facebook group of action takers and one listener will earn a free mentorship call with our guest, and potentially, a business partnership.
- Built to Sell
- The Automatic Customer
- Everyone’s favorite Office Space printer scene
- RV Snap Pad
- Kent’s LinkedIn
Kent Wilson is the co-founder and CMO of RV Snap Pad He is in charge of all key growth marketing strategies and tactics, such as conversion rate optimization, social media marketing, search engine optimization, and brand messaging.
Join our newsletter
Run With It by Chris Justin and Eathan Janney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.