Landfill Mining with Aaron Nesser
It seems like we’re already living in a dystopian future so shouldn’t we start businesses that better reflect that? Today’s guest brings us an idea for reducing waste in a way that is good for the earth, good for business and good for our future selves.
- Currently there is more aluminum stored in landfills than in the mineral where aluminum is sourced in nature.
- Not all landfills are created equal. Landfills near industrial areas contain more metals like steel, aluminum, and iron.
- Jevons Paradox could be leveraged: The paradox occurs when technological progress or government policy increases the efficiency with which a resource is used, but the rate of consumption of that resource rises due to increasing demand.
- Find ways to intercept potentially valuable materials before they end up in the landfill.
- "Bank" salvaged material for future use
- Reach out to explore partnerships with existing companies like Terracycle
Love a part of the show? Did we get something completely wrong? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our newsletter
Run With It by Chris Justin and Eathan Janney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.